Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Chili Garlic Sauce is a Staple in My Kitchen

The chili garlic sauce by Huy Fong Foods is spicy but yet not overpowering heat and can be added to just about any recipe. It is a staple in my kitchen just like mayonnaise, ketchup, and mustard. I use it in stir fries, in noodles, and in just about any food that needs some added zip. It is spicy, but it is not so hot that you cannot taste the flavor of the food you are adding it to. I also like to substitute the chili garlic sauce in recipes calling for fresh red peppers or any kind of hot sauce. When trying for the first time try small amounts and increase the amount until you have the desired heat.

I have tried other chili garlic sauces that were too sour or too hot. The peppers and garlic are a perfect blend.

It stores easily in the refrigerator door and is very inexpensive. I have been able to find them in most grocery store chains, but I prefer to buy it in a specialty Asian food store it is much less expensive.




A Favorite Recipe of Mine Using Chili Garlic Sauce


Spicy Fish Sauce

2 Tablespoons shredded carrot
2 cloves of garlic - crushed
1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
2 tablespoons sugar (divided)
2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup fish sauce
1/4 cup water


Directions:
1. Shred carrot and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar, set aside.

2. mix the rest of the ingredients together. After the carrot has softened until limp add to the mixture.

Serve with egg rolls, spring rolls, grilled pork or chicken over rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

Corned Beef Recipe

I love corned beef and a good Ruben sandwich is a comfort food to me, so obviously I wanted to learn how to make my own corned beef.  Buying...