Monday, January 31, 2011

A Blast from the Past

Today I received, out of the blue, a message about a facebook page set up for those who were stationed at the 294th USAAG in Flensburg Germany. It was fun to see all of the people that I hadn't seen in years. It made me realize that when we move on in different directions as most of us do eventually, those people don't seize to exist. I remember everyone as they were over 18 years ago. I realize that everyone's lives went on and continued in their own direction. It's also interesting to note that as much as they have changed, I have changed probably as much. I just didn't see the changes, as I have lived with myself for the past 18 years.

My memories of Flensburg are good and bad; yet I like to remember the good, fondly. Papa's Imbiss or "Papa's Pitas" as I remember it are the best Gyros' pitas I have ever had. In fact they spoiled me to eating pitas in the states. What was their secret - I would pay good money to know. Then there was the "Rathskeller" and Flensburger Pilsner - if only I could have another. It is like one of those empty longings. Shopping downtown on long Thursdays or Saturday markets. I loved buying fresh flowers at the market. Brotchen mit kasa (I apologize for my German spelling).

But we grow older and we move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

Corned Beef Recipe

I love corned beef and a good Ruben sandwich is a comfort food to me, so obviously I wanted to learn how to make my own corned beef.  Buying...